Friday, March 7, 2008

Reading Buddies

I am sitting in a preschool classroom, immersed in the buzz of 9 different pairs of students reading books to each other. I have been working on report cards, but I realized the medium-loud hum of voices has knocked for a loop my ability to concentrate on anything. Rather than being upset or disappointed by my inability to focus, I am just sitting here, enjoying the fact that my fifth and sixth grade students are reading books and maybe learning a little about being good citizens. I LOVE the fact that words on a page, combined with some pictures, can bridge the space between older and younger. The books are a bridge from my kids to these other, younger little humans. Being a witness to this is bringing a smile to my face that writing comments on report cards, no matter how positive or caring, could never bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment